Sep 20, 2009

Harvest time

This is my first year of harvesting fruit from our own trees.  What fun!  We have enjoyed raspberries all summer long and grapes have been fun to eat too.  I canned 13 quarts of pears...and added a bazillion fruit flies to our home....uggggg!  I have canned 21 qts of peaches and made homemade peach ice cream,  and plan on doing freezer jam and cobbler too.  We are loving the fruit and excited to stock some away for wintertime.  The children have gotten into quite a bit of mischief while I've been busy canning, but hopefully this week will be less busy.  

Oh yeah....and we love to eat the fruit right off the tree too....Porter grabbed this one while I was on the ladder picking fruit.  Hopefully there were no bugs etc...in it.  It was part gone by the time I noticed that he had one.  Boy does he love those peaches.  He tried really hard to eat the pit but alas he had to throw it! ( I think mom had to take it away and throw it actually)

yeah for fall harvesting time!!  Happy Fall everyone!

1 comment:

Amanda Robbins said...

Don't you love to see them all lined up, you actually have something that says, "look what I did." I'm jeaulous they were from your own trees. We got a total of 5 peaches (the birds got to them :(
and 1 apple. hopefully next year.